Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
**I know it exists, it can detect patterns that elude human analysis, and there is some sort of "machine learning". That's about it.

I've taken a handful of classes on it and have actually built a machine learning based analytics tool, and the reality is that you've got the gist.

Let's just say that there's a reason AI has mastered very limited scope things like chess and go but still can't drive a car all that well in anything other than perfect conditions. This article has a decent story around it: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3262112/why-autonomous... .

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
Other boards You might enjoy based on interests:

Retired Fools - not the investing side but the lifestyle

Tax strategies

Television Banter
Great Movies

Sauls Investing Discussions: Read for individual stocks analysis but do NOT post unless you post hard numbers and have been reading at least month. They’re strict. No silly blathering.

Political Asylum: if you like to argue politics with people whose minds you will never change or just to rant.

Living Below Your Means:
Building/Maintaining a Home:
Buying and Maintaining a car:
Best Travel Spots:

Your mileage may vary…
No. of Recommendations: 10
Sauls Investing Discussions: Read for individual stocks analysis but do NOT post unless you post hard numbers and have been reading at least month. They’re strict. No silly blathering.

Beware of this one. The Commander-In-Chief doesn't take any BS. A very unsociable group plus you need degrees in Finance, Economics, Accounting, etc. to even understand what they are talking about. Also you won't find discussion of normal stocks there. It's all Yuppie stuff.
No. of Recommendations: 4
This is a good place for discussion about retirement investments. The Retire Early boards are mostly political now. Some discussion of FIRE, but the original FIRE board became a place for conservatives to snipe at liberals. So the liberals created their own FIRE board and blast conservatives. There is discussion about retirement concerns there, but this is probably the best place if you want to talk SS, IRAs, etc.

Atheist Fools if you want some high-brow discussion. Leans liberal, as do most atheists. Also, they welcome everybody that is pleasant. Several theists on that board. Preaching will get you p-boxed in a heartbeat. A lot of politics, but also discussion about science, history, etc. One poster recently asked questions about stellar formation.

Saul's board is great, but not a place for banter. Best to just read most of the time. Plus they have a lot of documents linked on the side panel that say what they do, how, and why. Those are worth a read. No OT posts are tolerated. But their investment results are stunning. I have two Saul stocks, just based on the numbers. It's all about the numbers over there. I disagree with the characterization they are "yuppie" stocks. All they care about are the numbers. I mostly read (have interjected a few times, but it's better just to absorb the knowledge).

Depending on what you want, there are other good ones. Caring for a parent, Pandemic Diseases, the Tax Strategies Board is good if you have questions about taxes, and of course there are company-specific boards (e.g. Intel, Nokia, etc). Plus some hobby boards (e.g. Photography).
No. of Recommendations: 7
What are abnormal stocks? It's not like they're doing bitcoin over there.

Yes, not very sociable. Because they aren't socializing. Not at all. It's more of a collaboration. People find new companies, and if they think they are good they post the numbers for critique. You get lots of free analysis of companies you may never have found on your own. Better analysis than the so-called analysts working for the brokerage houses.

Yeah, sometimes the accounting can be a bit much for a non-accountant. But if you want to be able to retire comfortably, you have to put in the work. The numbers speak, if you listen to them. Saul's board is jumping into the deep end, for sure.

And in the other post I was wrong. I have three Saul stocks. I only vaguely understand their businesses (e.g. don't know much about cyber-security), but I can read their numbers.

1poorguy
Cyber security is not so complicated. Hackers bad. Steal your stuff, ideas, customer data, make you pay ransoms else your computers all turn into useless bricks. Stop bad guys a good business. Enter CrowdStrike.

My nephew works for them and I’m long…
In a broad-brush sense, no, it's not that hard. But do I understand their product line? Nope. Do I understand implementation in the cloud? Nope. Etc.

Ditto UPST. I get the very basics of loans, and not much about AI**. But the numbers speak. Their customers understand, know what they need, and choose their product(s). (Same with CRWD. And DDOG.)

This is contrary to what I learned long ago (from Peter Lynch). He advocated understanding the business, and if possible, going there. That's why I bought COST. The parking lot is a madhouse, the stores are always busy, they have 10 registers all with lines of people with loaded carts. I looked at the numbers, and they were solid. So I bought.

I'm still getting used to looking only at the numbers. But if I don't, I'm limited to semiconductor stocks (which I know the industry very well), and things I can visit like COST.

1poorguy (long CRWD and UPST and DDOG and COST)

**I know it exists, it can detect patterns that elude human analysis, and there is some sort of "machine learning". That's about it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yeah the details of CRWD it would take a masters degree in cyber security to really get. UPST wants to replace FICO scores best I understand. 95% of my investments are index funds I just have a fun fund where I play a bit. I bought Pfizer years ago for the yield but it’s been going up lately. Amazon when I couldn’t go two weeks without ordering something. So that was something I knew. Then a tax advantaged fund , spy, and CRWD because of my nephew saying they were so busy he could barely get a day off. It seems to be on sale and their quarterly results are good so…
No. of Recommendations: 5
Buying or Selling a Home

Estate Planning and the Fool

Help with this STUPID computer!

I've taken a handful of classes on it and have actually built a machine learning based analytics tool, and the reality is that you've got the gist.

Let's just say that there's a reason AI has mastered very limited scope things like chess and go but still can't drive a car all that well in anything other than perfect conditions. This article has a decent story around it: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3262112/why-autonomous... .

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool

Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 6

Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look

BruceM

Knowing your writings via your book/articles/posts, your investment acumens and style, etc.... I doubt that it is your kind of place. ;-)

BB
BBrown.
You are indeed perceptive beyond your years! But it is not my kind of place not for reasons of a disciplined approach...I admire that and said so. It is not my kind of place for reasons of investment goals.

Despite my disinterest with Saul's approach to personal investment management, I admire his focused methodology. I wish him and those who subscribe to his approach, the very best.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 0
Woops.....looks like my posting on Saul's Investment Club got whacked, although I did get 3 interesting PMs yesterday in response to my posting.

Yeah,... whatever....

BruceM
Yeah I warned you. I’ll read it because I’m following CRWD but I’ll never post there.
looks like my posting on Saul's Investment Club got whacked

Not surprising at all.
Where exactly do I find Saul's board? I can't seem to locate it.
I forgot to add that if you would have put Saul in the search box next to Board in the bottom center of the page, you could have found the board. While much of TMF's search sucks, that will work.

PSU
Or if you click on the "best of" at the top of the Boards page, it usually has around 8 of the top 10 most recommended posts at any given time!
Yes, it's the new version of the Gimme My Recs board.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 7
I read your post over there. I figured it was 50/50 it would survive.

They really aren't interested in socializing. They want company discussion. Not even portfolio management (which your post bordered on). Sometimes they let stuff like that remain, sometimes not.

I have posted a few times, but mostly I just read. Got some good ideas there that otherwise I would not have.

1poorguy
Gimme my Recs at Saul's

There is a really strong reason why. Since idle posting is not recommended and seldom allowed, it is really the only way those lurking can actually 'vote' on posts. The signal to noise ratio on post 'likes' is remarkably good - if you normalize for OP surplus*.

*First post typically gets between 2x-5x Rec's, even if follow up posts are just as insightful.