Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I know LanceMan is hanging around some now, so I'm sure he'll have additional comments. However, I think it is not really valid to compare different periods between competitors, and also your "year ago" period for WMT is shown as 2 years ago (also a no-no). You need to compare as close as possible the same time periods between WMT and KMart, etc, because otherwise seasonal and cyclical effects may affect the results (e.g. perhaps during the KMart period retail was slumping, but during the WMT period a slump either had just ended or was just about to start).

Interesting it is only 3rd tier. Retailers usually aren't first tier (due to, among other things, narrow margins), but I intuitively expected a category killer like WMT to be somewhere in the 2nd tier. The Cash King Margin shows they aren't Cash Kings...

1poorguy (no position in WMT)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.