No. of Recommendations: 1
I know next to nothing about Amendment 24, but Paul's comment about Boulder's legislation against urban sprawl raises some questions in my mind.

Let's assume that anti-sprawl legislation preserves farmland around a city but raises property values inside the city. Newcomers find it expensive to move in. The city grows vertically, not horizontally.

Suppose further that the lack of anti-sprawl legislation results in Los Angeles-style sprawl, eliminates farms and open space, and degrades everybody's environment. Property values remain relatively low and affordable for newcomers, who pour in until all open space is gone. Then the city begins to grow vertically. Property values increase, but they never catch up.

Doesn't this imply that in the end we have a choice between two kinds of vertical cities: one with green space, the other without? Property values and quality of life will be higher if the first choice is taken.

There are real life examples of these two kinds of cities: compare Den Haag (The Hague) in the Netherlands to Houston, Texas, for example. Both are populous cities near a seacoast, but there the resemblance stops.

This suggests to me that property values are kept artificially low by the absence of anti-sprawl statutes, and that property owners in these cities are being taken to the cleaners while the environment degrades around them.

Just a thought.
Loren
(living in Carbondale, not Boulder)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.