Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know nothing about Federal annuities so I will assume that nothing your husband does at this point with regard to earning money can endanger his continued receipt of that annuity income. If that is the case, then the real central question becomes: "What is the best deferred savings mechanism for an independent consultant?"

I would suggest that your husband either incorporate making an "S" election or become an LLC (Limited Liability Company. The choice here is complex, so I will skip the details at this time. Suffice to say, IMHO it is always wise for an independent consultant to have limited liability.

There is a second benefit. Either the corp. or the LLC can adopt a profit sharing plan. Typically, though not necessarily, the profit sharing plan will have 2 components:

1. A money purchase component which is an annual mandatory contribution equal to X% of pay; let's say 10%.

2. A profit sharing component which is a discretionary contribution equal to Y% of pay; let's say 15%.

The sum of X and Y can not exceed 25% and Y can not be greater than 20%.

Almost any discount broker can set you up with their regional prototype plans at minimal cost ($25 to $100 per year). This structure & plan adoption mechanism beats the pants off of SEP's, SIMPLE's and IRA's put together.

Regarding your question about receiving a lump sum versus monthly payments --- I would assume a lump sum can be rolled into a Rollover IRA. If so, it's pretty easy to tumble the numbers. Let's say the lump sum is $100,000 & the monthly amount is $500. That's 6%. I think any FOOL can do better than that; thus take the lump sum. On the other hand, if the monthly amount is $1500, that's 18%; pretty tough to beat.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.