Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I know nothing about the need for 'temporary possession,' but I do know that Muslims across this country pray in all sorts of places. Their offices, the side of the highway, grassy fields, and so on.

See, this was my impression. I had never heard anything about this ownership thing. All I can think is that, as you suspect, it may be that she was speaking of an older custom or something. We have been speaking about 13-15th century art - from many areas - and perhaps this was a custom peculiar to that time period.

Thank you for the clarification, and yes, it was of help. I hope you'll induldge me in asking one more.

We have been looking at funerary architecture (tombs, mausoleums, martyria, etc.) and early on in the discussion, the professor noted that while it wasn't prohibited, elaborate funeral and burial rituals were discouraged in Islam. She also noted that the kings and shahs and other leaders pretty much ignored that discouragement and built all sorts of funerary structures which we are now studying.

But I find myself curious about what comtemporary Muslims practice with regard to funerals and burials. I know that, for example, mourning is a big deal in Judaism, and that there are some issues about cremation vs. burial between various Christian sects. What do Muslims do?

Mitten
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.