Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I know owners love them but.... a mini-van?

What is your price for coolness?

Most SUVs are large on the outside and small on the inside. Stand back and take a good look at one. In reality, it's a station wagon with big wheels and a jacked up suspension.

From a driving standpoint, they're generally a disaster. Why do you think stability control was invented? To keep SUVs from rolling over, that's why. Why were side curtain airbags invented? To protect the occupants of SUVs when the stability control isn't enough and they roll over anyway.

SUVs are neither Sport nor Utility. If you drive them like a sports car, you will get to view the world upside down. If you want to load them up, you'll find they don't hold much more than a large sedan.

Minivans are much more practical. Even a badly designed one has twice the cargo volume of an SUV. They have a lower center of gravity, making them more stable. They also ride much like a car and not like a truck. (As long as you avoid a well-used Astro. Those were trucks.)

You want to go on a road trip? Great! They'll carry 5 people and all of their luggage. Fold up the back seat, and they'll carry 5 people plus the luggage for 10. They'll give you a comfortable ride doing so, and get decent mileage while doing it. And you'll get the same view of the road you get in an SUV - less the upside down bit! <grin>

Yes, I like mini vans. They only thing they lack is the marketing savvy of SUVs. I've owned one continuously since 1990, and have had two for the last 14 or 15 years. I will probably always own one.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.