Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know that if you exercise options and sell them the same day, it counts as ordinary income for tax purposes.

Are you talking about options related to your employment, such as ISOs?

If so, its not only ordinary income, it's also wages. Your employer will withhold income tax, social security tax and medicare tax as part of the exercise and sale. You won't need to worry about estimated tax payments.

Instead, you'll need to worry about making sure an appropriate amount of income tax is withheld. ;-)

And don't forget this is really two transactions - both the acquisition and sale of the stock. You'll have to report the sale on your tax return next year. So watch for a 1099B and make sure you know what to report as the cost of the stock. Your HR department will probably give you everything you need to figure out the correct cost. (Hint - it's probably the sale price before paying any sale commission and fees.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.