Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I know that tax deductions are subtracted from the gross income.

After you exceed the standard deduction. Read the directions for schedule A and some publications about deductions and you'll have a better idea of what goes into that than we can give you, but others have mentioned the most likely cases (mortgage interest, state & local taxes, property tax.)

Is there any way to get a better tax liability amount to donation amount ratio?

Clumping your deductions. This year you make no additional donation to charity and take the standard deduction. Next year you make several year's worth of donations and exceed the standard deduction.

401k contributions lower your taxable gross income. So you should see that result in a lower tax bill.

and calculate that I owe another $1.6k
Are you concerned about penalties, or is the withholding in 2005 greater than your total tax bill for 2004?

- Megan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.