No. of Recommendations: 6
I know that this board is for more enterprising folks, but I'll put my 2 cents in anyway. I'm not a bond picker, trader, or anything else that might be considered sophisticated. We're pretty conservative, with most of our savings in a variety of index trackers, some stocks, and now a fair amount of cash. We hold a decent chunk in individual stocks, but most of our assets are passively invested.

With cash returns in MM and CDs looking pretty unimpressive, I came here looking for some advice on picking out MUNI bond funds. People here were very helpful, but for the most part it's an individual issue crowd; full of 'bond pickers' like you might expect. Given that these guys (and gals) aren't likely to point out funds as an altrenative, I thought I'd speak up. I'm a NY resident, so I've only researched NYS funds; closed-end MUNI funds and ETFs. Many of the closed-end NYS MUNI funds are yielding 7%, and most are trading at normal or high spreads to their historical NAV discounts. Several of those are low cost (mostly the BlackRock funds) and are fairly conservatively positioned with over a third of their holdings in AAA Munis. Some are as high as half AAA. I like the diverstiy of a basket, and there's no way to diversify like the funds can of course.

If you're a Cali resident, some of the CA funds are yielding even higher, and there are loads of other. To me, they're worth a look.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.