Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I know there are lots of opinions on paying off mortgage vs keeping those funds invested to keep working for you.

Something that I've been turning over in my mind to try to get the best handle on:
If you are drawing Social Security along with money from IRAs, and also have a mortgage, the mortgage payment is additional money you need from the IRAs to cover. That means increasing your income, which might trip the SS into a higher taxed state. You might be able to draw some money from Roths to avoid that by getting money that doesn't increase your taxable income, but you need to have some Roth money to do that. That might mean you'd wish you had converted some regular IRA money to Roth earlier.

So, in addition to "pay taxes now or later," you have the extra factor of how the SS income will be taxed.

On the "I pay 4% mortgage to get 20% return on the money," that might be more accurately "I pay 4% mortgage to have a chance of getting 20% return on the money." Earning 20% is definitely not a given, even if one did so once before.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.