Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I know you said that not everyone choses "people with the traits of their parents' marriage that need to be solved and, in doing this, attempts to succeed in areas their parents' didn't" but I believe that many people choose to learn from their parents' mistakes and not repeat them.

My father is/was a philandering pediphilic bum. He held jobs for a while then quit them. He cheated on my mother. He abused at least one of his own children. He smoked.

I don't think I consciously chose his polar opposite, but I did marry a man very different. Non-smoker, high achiever, hard worker who has finished a 20 yr career in the military and is now in his second career. Is he perfect? Of course not, neither am I.

My point is, I have to believe that many people watch and learn as children, not to choose the same sort of person to somehow fix and rescue, but to choose someone who will provide a healthier relationship than the one they grew up in.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.