Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I learned about the 1929 crash from Grandma but witnessed the recessions of 1974-75, 1980-82, the 2000 stock bubble burst and the 2008 financial crisis personally. As a result, I never invest money in the stock market that I could conceivably need in the next 10 years.

Great advice Wendy. I first came to MF during the tech bubble. I remember what it was like around these boards during that time. Everyone was a Bernard Baruch. It was buy any dip. Not a lot of those people around anymore.

Short term the market is subject to psychology not any rules. The best piece of investing advice in the history of man is buy low and sell high. Which goes with the advice to buy when the herd is panicking and sell when euphoria takes over.

Today, Euphoria maxed out about 11:00am EST and fear took over about 1:00pm. This likely isn't the end of the bull, but it's close enough that I am conservative.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.