No. of Recommendations: 3
I left the UK for Canada some 10 years ago, leaving a SIPP to be managed by a well respected private company in London.

After 10 full years the return on my investment is less than 8%. I'm stunned and wondering if I have any legal recourse on what is clearly an under performance on a drastic scale.

I don't know what you were invested in, but on April 2, 2001 (10 years ago), the S&P index closed at 1,224.38 Today, it closed at 1,332.41 That's an 8.82% return over the same 10 years. You should check the values for general stock market indices of whatever countries you were invested in to see if there is a similar comparison.

If they charged fees, they probably actually outperformed the market, but you probably paid them more than the premium over the market that they made.

I have lodged a formal complaint with them but I get the feeling that this is very much "asking the chef to comment on the food"

Can anyone offer some helpful advice?

Invest the money yourself instead of trusting/paying someone else to do so. If you do pay someone to invest your money for you, check it more often than every 10 years.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.