Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I like Nestle.

After the housing bust, a reporter (I think I heard the story on the BBC world service) was doing a study on the role of the business schools in the financial industry. He was sitting in a classroom in Harvard, listening to an MBA class discuss Nestle.

Here they were, a bunch of 24 year olds, who had never run a business, ripping Nestle apart because they take 1 hour lunches where they drink wine in the company cafeteria and everyone gets 5-7 weeks vacation per year. Typical Swiss company.

Everyone was talking about how they could wring more profit out of the company.

The reporter sat there thinking something along the lines of: "Wait a second, Nestle has been a profitable business for 154 years. Something is terribly wrong when the premier business school in the U.S. doesn't even note that as a significant positive for the company."

One more thing. In the U.S. there has been huge momentum for Green Mountain Coffee due to their Keurig cups. In Europe, Nestle is the king of single-service coffee with their Nespresso service. The coffee runs about 0.35 Euro per serving for very good espresso. Way better than Keurig or any other single-serving coffee I've ever had.

sf
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.