Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I like Quicken for a lot of the same reasons and use Quicken extensively. I do the day-to-day money management, but just about every Saturday morning, my wife and I drink cappuccinos and "go over the finances". This mostly consists of running through 3 Quicken reports/graphs: Spending by category, Investment performance (subtotaled by account) and Net worth over time. Something in our discussion might spur us to look at something in a little more detail. Then we might look at something specific: upcoming expenditures or whatever. This morning, for example, we also looked at what our Required Minimum Distributions might be in 2032, if things go according to plan. Also, how our Net Worth has changed over time compared to earned income and investment income.

I haven't spent much time on it, but not entirely sure how the lifetime planner handles Roth IRAs. It seems to lump them in with the taxable accounts on the graph. Perhaps I've not set up the accounts properly. Also, it seems to assume we will be spending down our taxable accounts before taking distributions from our tax-deferred accounts. At least, until RMDs kick in.

I get annoyed when they sometimes change things just for the sake of change. For example, they changed the spending by category graph to go decreasing size clockwise vs. counter-clockwise. No change in functionality, but now I have to re-train my brain. They also added an extra step to select accounts instead of the default "all accounts", which seems to have also added a bug when you select accounts and then choose all. I imagine they'll get around to fixing that eventually.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.