No. of Recommendations: 0
I liked:

91 Owning Mahoney. I found it actually quite engaging. Granted, it's a somewhat glitzy Hollywood look at compulsive gambling, since Mahoney manages to swindle his company out of millions to finance his habit, and that's hardly normal. But I found it interesting anyway.

Just voicing an alternate opinion on that one.

For some reason Owning Mahoneyis linked to The Cooler in my head, probably because I read the film festival reviews of both films about the same time. I ended up finding this one a lot more interesting than The Cooler. Except for the sex scene with Maria Bello. Which I'm conflicted about, because she does it without removing her thong, which is kind of kinky, but also means we don't get to see much skin.

34 Forget Paris. But I've forgotten it, so I can't defend it.

A couple I'm ambivalent about:

62 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. I saw this as a pre-teen on TV. I thought it was great. It probably actually sucked, since I also thought Gilligan's Island was great at the time, but I don't remember enough to be sure.

41 The Last Starfighter. I saw this when I was 20, and liked it. Looking back on it, I know it was bad. Must have been the victory of the oppressed nerd, in retrospect. Later I gained a little self esteem.

Come to think of it, Buckaroo Banzai was the same year. Wow was I disappointed in that one when I watched it again.

Ones I've seen, and agree suck:

89 Remo Williams.
88 Enemy Mine. Really sad, because the novella is decent. Yeah, that seems impossible, since the plot outline is the same, but it's all in the execution.
75 Me and Him. I could have sworn parts of that were funny, but I can't remember any.
42 Screamers. "Second Variety" is a good story. This isn't.
28 Lawnmower Man. Did you know that virtual reality will turn you insane?
21 Electric Dreams. Actually, there's some priceless dialog in which the computer calls up Dr. Ruth on a radio show, and complains that "Moles" keeps him in the closet. And when she says he needs a hug, he says "I can't, I don't have any arms." Great stuff. Awful otherwise.

Ones I've seen, and thought were so awful that I turned them off in the first 10 minutes:

73 Death Wish. I'd heard if you didn't enjoy this, you weren't a real man. Ye gods it was boring. We did get to see Jeff Goldblum as a street banger. Not very convincing, I must say.
49 Cobra. Why were bad Schwarzenegger vehicles like Commando better than bad Stallone vehicles like this one?

Movies I knew better than to see:

90 Napoleon Dynamite.
84 Patch Adams. Why did anyone see that?

The rest, well, I don't know that much about 'em.

- Gus
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.