No. of Recommendations: 0
I liked sci fi way back in the 50s and 60s...Heinlein and similar....then the sci fi folks went off into spells and magic and other stuff that totally lost me.

I loved Tom Clancy's first book - Hunt for Red October...right to the point, no 'required' love story, and 3 sub themes. It was all right on the subject, and full of good technical info......then , it seemed that he fell into the trap that you need 500 pages filled with 3 or more sub plots, at least one romance along the way...just to fill the pages to justify a $9.99 selling price for the softcover edition, and $39.99 for the hardcover edition. I gave up after the first book...no sense wading through 400 extra pages of crap.

I read all the Sue Grafton mystery novels.....most were excellent...then she got into major flashbacks and you got lost chapter after chapter as some were flashbacks and others weren't and it got real confusing especially if you didn't read it all in one setting...and it too went to 300 pages with 1/3rd of them now crap.

So I stick mainly to magazines...read about 3 weeklies plus about 8 others that come monthly from Pop Science to 3 radio magazines to American Rifleman ......plus college mags.....got more than enough to read...

then there's the internet with the UK papers on line....good stuff...

and the WSJ daily...

I'm busy enough

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.