Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I live by my iCal calendar on my home computer. I keep everything there and, somehow, I never managed to get the "synchronize with the iCloud" thing. My heart-stopping moment came when, after what seemed like a routine update to software, I got some pop-up choices and, as I remember, one of them had something to do with iCloud. I had to choose, so I chose "yes" and the update chugged along.

The next morning I opened the calendar to see what was on the schedule and it was BLANK. Appointments, phone numbers, locations, gone.

Apple has good tech support and I tried to keep my panic down as I called. The tech guy told me that my calendar was just "repopulating" or something like that. I asked how long this would take and he said it depended on how much was in the calendar and how fast my Internet connection was. I told him that sometimes my Internet connection was non-existent. What happens to my calendar then?

He began to speak to me in gobbledegook and I realized that I had to somehow get back to my former Luddite life where the iCloud did not help me with this new "convenience." The guy could not believe that I would want to live with such a cave-man computer in 2014, but I convinced him.

So, I keep all of my information on my home computer. I back up regularly to a hard drive that sits on my desk next to the computer. If I want to update any of my other mobile devices, like my iPhone or my iPad or my iPod or my iShoes, I plug them in and do it on my schedule, not on iCloud's schedule.

My wife is the same way, except she also has a paper calendar at work. So when someone asks me about a work related thing or about a social thing or abut anything calendar related I can only respond provisionally until I have checked in three places.

FWIW: I also like the chance to think a bit about what I am being asked to put into my schedule. Each day seems to put another mile on my life and makes each additional mile that much more valuable. Back when there was "all the time in the world" I don't remember prioritizing like I do now. Now, I think about it, I consult my wife, my calendar and my true desire to put this thing in my schedule...then I say yes or no.

skorthos
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.