Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I look at it like this:

Your portfolio is about 16.93% as large as the Pro portfolio ($500,000 / $2,953,000)
The Pro portfolio has 2,800 shares, therefore your allocation is about 474 shares.

I would suggest that owned shares plus the number of shares you would receive if your Put contracts are exercised should be about 474. I would look at the number of shares represented by the Put options, NOT at the value of the options.

You could also calculate the number of shares as 2.4% * $500,000 / 25.03
25.03 is the current price of Square. This calculation gets 479 shares, because the 2.4% is rounded.

Assuming that you mean you have 10,000 worth of stock (which is about 400 shares) and one put contract (which represents 100 shares), so yes, I would say that you have exposure to 500 shares, and that the allocation correct.

Of course writing a Put is not exactly the same as owning shares, because you will be under allocated is the stock rises a lot and the other party does not exercise the Put.

Morris
See positions at: http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFTurningItBlue/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.