Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I looked a little bit at the NNOX and couldn't find any actual examples of the images its machines produce. They discuss "CT" in some places, and I think I've read "tomosynthesis" in others. As far as I can tell they just talk about a new way to generate x-rays, which is admittedly very old technology (most of the advancements in imaging have come from new ways to captures x-rays rather than generating them). I have no idea if their technology works, or why the big companies (Samsung, GE, Philips, Toshiba, Fuji, etc) couldn't come up with it.

They say that much of the world has no access to imaging, which I'm not really sure is true. Certainly in the US, almost everyone who just walks into a hospital gets some kind of imaging. As part of our medical waste program here in the US, we routinely dump CT scanners that still run perfectly well in order to advertise scanners with a higher number and fancier name. A lot of those scanners end up being donated overseas. In some areas, it's more of a challenge to find someone to run the machine than it is to find a machine.

In other parts of the developed world, the limitation is cost. If you're willing to pay, you can usually jump the line or find somewhere where there is no line. So maybe they have been able to reduce the cost of the imaging device 10x. You still need someone to run the machine, to make sure it's done safely. You need a way to get those images to someone to interpret (or are they doing this with a computer?) Then you need someone to actually do something about the results. Are they reducing the cost of all of those things 10x?

And if you're in an area that really has no imaging, who is going to pay for these x-ray machines, and who is going to act on the results? Maybe people just "want to know" (though I think that is mostly an American entitlement thing) but what economic value is there in knowing?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.