Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I lost the magnifying glass years ago however nature has compensated for losing it by making my near vision almost perfect (at about four inches from the page, downhill and in a following wind).

I tell everyone that I bought it for two reasons: to increase my vocabulary and to know more words. You'd be surprised how many nod their heads sagely when I say that.

Remember that the volumes came in a slipcase? Lost that, too: the cat peed in it. Long story short: the cat peed in it.

Also the volumes aren't in that good condition since a succession of children have used them to squish leaves for class projects and I was not adverse to having a book used for other than reading. I rarely use the volumes these days yet, in one, there's still leaf fragments and that – bar the fridge drawings – is about all I have of that time in the kids' lives. That and the teething bite marks on Volume 11.

Nothing says erudition than a full set of OED, I always say. Either that or I am so dumb that I have to look up everything. However I suffer from bibliogmaniacism. I cannot look up one word; I get engrossed on the page and forget why I was on that page in the first place. Same with encyclopedias and, in fact, any reference book. Which, I think, underlines the adage that no one who can read can clean out an attic.

I was looking up something in Chapman's Piloting and two hours later Elly came over and said, “Did you find out about Bruce anchors?” and I said, “Oh, I'll get to that in a minute. Did you know that 'Broad on the Quarter' has nothing to do with bikinis? Fact.”

Of course I could have said, “I'm not finished with the A's yet,” but that would have been a lie since I was somewhere in the K's and that lead to something in the M's and, folks, that's my life.

In a way I regret losing the magnifying glass since it would have helped with my focusing. I'd write more on this but there's a spider just outside my window and it has made a web that must be several feet across. Back soon.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.