Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I loved Stephen King's "On Writing". It was the first of his books I had ever read and my expectations were low which made it all the more enjoyable. Something no one else has mentioned is that the first half of the book is a very comical autobiography. I laughed myself sick over one or two of the passages (particularly Bertha the farting babysitter). What I took from that is that Stephen King lived a really tough life but one thing that was constant was his love of writing. He even used writing to make trouble as a teen. So much more refreshing that papering the neighbor's house with toilet paper.

When it came to the second half of the book I remembered exactly one thing. That is why I especially appreciate your review, LongHook. You reminded me of all of the other very wise and useful points he made. As for the one that stuck with me, what he says is that if you want to be a writer, you must write. You must commit to a particular number of minutes or words and a particular number of days per week. They all say that, damn it!

It is with this that I de-lurk and introduce myself to the board. I used to think of myself not so much as an aspiring writer, but as a "wanna be" writer. After reading a few books on writing and in particular King's book, I have been forced to admit that I don't deserve to call myself any kind of writer at all. I lack commitment. The only writing I do is to these boards and emails to my friends. I have taken a couple of writing courses in the past but I have absolutely failed to follow through.

I'm going to lurk some more, attempt to become inspired, and then commit. It may only be 20 minutes a day but if I commit and like it who knows where that will lead?

Thanks to Hook for the review and to everyone for the inspiration!

P.
who can't imagine a life devoid of a copy of Strunk and White.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.