Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I made a huge mistake. I haven't applied for a passport in 20 years, and I haven't flown on a plane since before 9/11, so I guess I didn't really understand how complicated traveling is these days.

I don't think it takes any longer to get a passport than it ever did. (I got my current passport a month or so after 9/11 - a new one, not a renewal) and it came in about 4 weeks. I'm surprised that anyone would leave something as important as a passport to what is literally the last minute since it's such a basic part of trip planning.

If you have an old passport you should take it with you when you apply. I certainly agree with the others that you should go ahead and pay the fee for expedited handling and consider it a learning experience.

When you get the passports, make a copy of the page with the pictures and keep the copies separate from the passports. I keep my passport in the room safe and carry the copy with me. Further, the copy will be invaluable if the passport is lost or stolen.

One last thing since you haven't travelled for a while: Don't take traveler's checks -- they're hard to cash and there's almost always (always?) a fee. Take your ATM card and before you go, change your PIN to 4 digits. You'll get local currency and there's an ATM on almost every corner.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.