Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I made my first ever share purchase back in about 1980 when I used to spend far too much time reading Rydge's share newsletter and not enough time studying my text books at Uni.

The company was Olympic tyres and within 3 months it was taken over by Dunlop Pacific and thus I made my first easy money (equivalent to nearly a month's pay) on the sharemarket and was hooked and at the same time became a shareholder in what was to become Pacific Dunlop.

My father was equally impressed and started to buy Pacific Dunlop shares as well and we continued to add to our position. The company became a market darling and by the late 80's this company represented a sizeable part of our wealth.

Luckily me for me I bought another house and needed the money and sold my shares. My father has held on through thick and thin and I can't tell you how much wealth has been straight out destroyed or lost in opportunity cost. It's a sad story.

I share this with you, not as a judgement on the current price, but to illustrate the emotional baggage that can attach to companies and their share price.

Beware fallen angels who promise they have changed their behaviour.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.