Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I make $64000 per year, hubby makes $105000 per year, we are contributing (heavily) to 401K's but our accountant
says we do not qualify to do an IRA as well (I know we don't get the tax deduction and a roth is just a dream) BUT??
can we each contribute the $2000 apiece to invest and grow.
We file separately on income taxes if that helps
(we just moved to the US 2 years ago from Canada and are still trying to figure out the tax system)

Why file separately? Try your taxes both ways and see if married isn't better.

If you filed a joint return and were US citizens you could each make a 2,000 non deductible IRA contribution. Best ask this question on the tax board.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.