Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I mean, sure, that's just my opinion. Others may disagree and believe that science is all an atheistic lie, god hates homosexuals, and so forth. I'm sure somewhere someone thinks that the Katrina response was a rousing success, that Baghdad is no more dangerous than Detroit, and that people should be stoned to death for printing pictures of Muhammad. But I'm not about to pretend that all opinions are equal and those should be considered reasonable.

Nor should you pretend that all opinions are reasonable. But you've cast those "opinions" in the worst possible light.

Others believe that science is sometimes cited more strongly in support of public policy than the state of knowledge permits, or ignores moral considerations that are very important. They believe that gay marriage does not require legal accommodation, whether you believe homosexuality is a sin or not. They don't believe that responding to Katrina should have been the federal government's responsibility (although I think there will be a political price for this - see below). They recognize that Bagdad is still more dangerous than Detroit, but still likely to be better off in the long term than it would have been under Hussein. I don't imagine there are any Bush supporters in favor of stoning the Danish cartoonists, BTW.

I disagree with most of the above, but can see where a voter who holds those opinions would regard much of what the administration has done a success.

Now then, there are a few things - Katrina response being one of them - that most voters would regard as evidence of incompetence. Those have not been submitted to the voters, since they took place after 2004. Indeed, I imagine that the GOP will face some considerable flak for Katrina and what's been happening in Iraq.

But the earlier poster's point is well taken - the fact that the GOP keeps winning elections is presumptive evidence that the electorate is generally happy with the way they've been running the federal government, even if it's not the way that you or I might want it run.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.