No. of Recommendations: 7
I mostly agree with the whole "privilege" thing, but that is the wrong word. What whites have is the lack of the disadvantage of dark skin. What men have is the lack of the disadvantage of being female. People with two legs have advantages over people with no legs. People who can see have advantages over people who can't.

Calling that "privilege" implies that the people who lack the disadvantages are somehow corrupt and need to change, but what we really need is for people to deliberately overlook disadvantages that don't matter for the decisions at hand.

Anyhow, that's mostly semantics, so I wouldn't argue about what is being said, but I think the wording needs some improvement to avoid raising hackles that don't need to be raised.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.