Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I moved this past year for a new job, and my employer paid my moving expenses. The money was paid directly to the moving company. I just recieved a 1099-misc form for the amount paid to the moving company. Is this amount considered taxable income? How should this be handled for tax purposes?

I'd suggest you get a copy of IRS Publication 521, digest the section on employer reimbursements, and then take it to your employer and show them the error of their ways. A 1099-MISC is never appropriate for moving expense reimbursement by an employer. You might also want to pick up the instructions for Form W-2, where you would find that the employer should have shown this nontaxable reimbursement in box 13 with a code "P."

If you can't get your employer to recall the 1099, report it on line 21 and do a Form 3903 to deduct the moving expense on line 26. Actually, if the only thing the employer paid was the mover, you probably have some other deductible expenses, which you'll also include on the 3903.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.