Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I moved this past year for a new job, and my employer paid my moving expenses. The money was paid directly to the moving company. I just recieved a 1099-misc form for the amount paid to the moving company. Is this amount considered taxable income? How should this be handled for tax purposes?

The only reason you should have received a 1099 from your employer for moving expenses they paid is if what they paid for included:

1. Non-deductible expenses, such as meals, expense of buying or selling your house, real estate taxes, car registrations, etc.
2. The expenses were paid under a nonaccountable plan. A nonaccountable plan is one in which BOTH "adequate accounting" and "return of excess reimbursement" is not required by the employer.

However, because you did not receive a reimbursement (your employer paid the expense directly to the moving company), I don't see any reason why they should have issued you a 1099 -- it appears to have been issued in error. Perhaps other tax professionals on this board can enlighten me if I am missing something here.

(who doesn't think he's missing anything)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.