Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I need a link to a picture that shows me the difference between yams and sweet potatoes.

In the United States, in your typical grocery store, there is no difference. The words are used interchangeably. Some folks will try to convince you that the yellow variety are different than the orange and one is a yam and one is a sweet potato but that's malarkey.

Look for smoothish skin, hefty for their size. Lightness may indicate the vegetable is old and starched-out. They're basically a tuber and just like potatoes, when they're exposed to light or other bad conditions, cellular activity will speed up and result in something not as good to consume.

They can be baked or microwaved with their skins on. In a regular oven, I strongly recommend you put them in a dish because they will leak juice that will be VERY difficult to remove once it is cooked on.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.