Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I need about 3 big pieces moved around the house.
( A workbench down to the backyard, a big chair moved to a different room, and a couple of things moved up and out of the basement)

What kind of service do I look for? I imagine that the job will require 2 guys--and there is likely to be a minimum (like 2 hours paid for)

Hi 85 -

I do this kind of stuff all the time, and most movers will do it as well.
Typically, we will send out 2 guys for $85->$95 per hour, with a 2 hour minimum. Since fuel has gotten so high, we will also charge either 30 minutes or 1 hour of drive time (same price). A lot of movers will just farm this work out to employees that aren't working that day. One of the big problems we have in this business is keeping our guys 'fed' with enough work to make a living. When we get a labor job like this it can really help.

Depending on how much you care about your stuff, another option is to go on the website, and you will usually be able to find folks that can come over and do it as well.

One thing to be aware of is that a lot of states don't regulate this kind of move, so you need to find out what policy the movers have in case something gets broken.

Hope that helps!
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.