Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I need help in terms of actual books people have read, related to industry (oil, gas, retail) - this will save me time and money searching on Amazon.

If you want to read about sectors, I suggest you look at Value Line. They rank the performance of sectors and summarize what they see as major factors impacting that sector. Their industry reports are organized in sector fashion. Hence, each issue of the print edition contains an update on all the stocks in that sector. They also give you an overview of each stock. I find they are not always complete, but they do cover the high points. Find a stock you like, I'd say read the annual report, the 10K and listen to the conference call after the last earnings report.

Realize that finding a book that is compete and up to date on an industry sector is difficult. Business changes constantly. Pros spend a lifetime learning the business, and are often not willing to reveal their secrets for competitive reasons. Mostly investors are aware of strategies they were willing to talk about. That is why those conference calls can be quite an education.

As to retail, there is a retail discussion board where you will find postings on trends in the sector. But of course niche players with the right formula can do quite well while the big guys struggle. Again change drives the business. By the time the ink is dry, it can be out of date.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.