No. of Recommendations: 0
I've only been out of College for a few years, but I am trying to understand how my 401K works and would appreciate some insight.

I called the number for my 401K management company and to find the answer to the question:

"When is my employers matching contributed to my account and how does that work with purchasing actual shares of stock?"

Well, what I think I found out is that I don't actually own any real shares of stock. I own units (specifically 139.846877 units). Between deposits by my employer, I own a constant number of units which can be valued based on a daily computed Net Asset Value (NAV) which takes into effect management costs plus who knows what else.

So if I multiply the number of units by the NAV I get the dollar value of the stock I thought I owned.

139.846877 * 44.564847 = 6232.254676933

If I typed it all in correctly.

So I could then say I own the equivalent of

6232.25... / share price

number of shares. Which would be accurate today, but tomorrow, I might own the equivalent of more, or less shares depending on the NAV and the market price of the stock.

Does this sound insane to anyone else?

How can I track the value of my 401K. Their answer is to call them as often as I want and ask. There is no way for me to compute the NAV. They wouldn't ever tell me if the value of the stock (that I thought I owned) goes up, if that pushes the NAV up.

What exactly is my money invested in? How does it gain in value? And finaly, is this the way everyone does it?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Rufford

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.