Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
i need to read dawkins. "the selfish gene" is good?

If you were retired or back in grad school, I'd say "yeah, you should definitely read it." But I qualify "need to read" lists a little more carefully now. I've got bookmarks sitting in half a dozen books on the nightstand, and they're mostly the same ones that were there last winter. But I do get to re-read "The Grouchy Ladybug" and "Go Dog, Go!" almost every night, so I should count my blessings.

I read "Selfish Gene" back in grad school shortly after it came out, and it certainly rocked my boat. Maybe shook my universe would be a better description. My copy is dog-eared and taped together from lending it out so many times, but I haven't gone back to see if it's still got legs. I suspect it has.

Dawkins is a great popular writer, but he doesn't compromise on the science. And with respect to explaining how natural selection works, he takes you right up to the abyss and lets you peer in, unlike Gould for example.

FWIW, my views on evolution are strikingly similar to Jefferson's views on Christianity. The world will likely be a better place if most of humanity remains naive.

TA

PS: As a war, Vietnam is easy to dismiss in the grand scheme of global conflicts. But as an event that changed the Anglo-American political landscape, it seems to warrant more than just an inter-cycle blip?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.