Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I occasionally make fake pizza for breakfast/brunch/lunch:

lightly toasted bread, smeared w/flavorful olive oil (the one I use for salads, not cooking), spread with pizza sauce, topped with sliced fresh mozzarella, bake till melted.

Before I went keto, we always bought hamburger buns when they would go on sale, because they were easy to use for pizza rounds under the broiler.

For keto-friendly meals, I use Joseph's Lavash Bread (sheets of flatbread, similar in taste and texture of a low carb tortilla) for cheese bread, pizza, "hot pockets", nachos, and more:

https://imgur.com/a/Bc08tZt
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been on the egg sandwich kick the last month. There are a ton of videos on how to make them but I toast both sides of a split bagel, drop two eggs in a well butter skillet then smash the bagel into the uncooked eggs and let the eggs set, flip over the whole mess, add cheese and cooked bacon tuck the egg flaps inside and flip over one side of the bagel to make a sandwich. The sky the limit on what you use for bread and stuffings. I use a little mayonnaise and hot sauce as a spread
How about fruit salad with walnuts? I like it with mixed berries, halved red or black grapes, broken walnuts (cheaper than whole), and sometimes shredded unsweetened coconut. Also makes a great topping for yogurt or cottage cheese.

Pancakes/waffles/French toast

Homemade granola or muesli--you can make it sugar-free or low-sugar (nb--granola won't clump if it's low sugar).

Frittata/quiche (are you avoiding eggs?)

Breakfast wrap

Huevos rancheros

Dinner leftovers ;-)
I’m a fan of banana and pumpkin “pancakes,” which are essentially just eggs, a little oil, the banana/pumpkin, and flavor —- salt, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla. That’s a weekend meal. On weekdays, eggs and veggies with a little sausage stirred into the eggs.

DD often has oatmeal. I finally concocted a high protein version by adding plain whey protein and hemp seeds. For her, the mix includes Apple, brown sugar, butter, cooking with milk, and spices. When I make it for my adult metabolism, I use Splenda, cook with water, skip the butter, and make half a serving.

Yesterday she had vegetarian bacon, eggs, and potatoes. And she is on a frosted shredded wheat kick, which happens every few years.

ThyPeace, options.
I make oatmeal with apple juice to avoid the wallpaper paste flavor. Add a little cinnamon and a cut up Granny Smith apple and I'm happy.

Rose
Who doesn't like sweet stuff in the mornings
How about fruit salad with walnuts? I like it with mixed berries, halved red or black grapes, broken walnuts (cheaper than whole), and sometimes shredded unsweetened coconut. Also makes a great topping for yogurt or cottage cheese.

Pancakes/waffles/French toast

These sound like they would work. I love fruit and cottage cheese, so I could give that a try.

I have a great recipe for maple walnut bread that I use for French toast, so that'll be on the list. It also freezes well, so I could make a big batch and freeze for later usage. Same with pancakes or even waffles. That way, I'm not doing lots of prep or cooking in the morning, so breakfast can be fast.

Frittata/quiche (are you avoiding eggs?)

I'm minimizing the eggs because of the cholesterol, but I could do this once in a while. I am just ever so slightly high on cholesterol, and have already made the changes I think will do the trick, but am being mindful of what I eat.
DD often has oatmeal. I finally concocted a high protein version by adding plain whey protein and hemp seeds. For her, the mix includes Apple, brown sugar, butter, cooking with milk, and spices. When I make it for my adult metabolism, I use Splenda, cook with water, skip the butter, and make half a serving.

This sounds interesting, and I think I will give it a try. I do have oatmeal and cream of wheat in stock, but I'm the only one in the family that doesn't like either. But I'm up to give it a shot to see if I can make enough changes that it is tolerable.
I make oatmeal with apple juice to avoid the wallpaper paste flavor. Add a little cinnamon and a cut up Granny Smith apple and I'm happy.

This sounds like it might work, and I have all of this in stock so I think I will give it a shot. If I can get close on hot cereal, I can tweak as needed. And with winter coming, now would be a good time to be trying this.

I knew I could count on the folks here to have some good suggestions.
I haven't made this in a while but there's a Persian porridge called halim/haleem that's bulgur wheat, meat, meat stock, cinnamon, salt, sugar. I used to fix a quickie version with chicken broth. Once it's made, it keeps for a while in the fridge and heats up wonderfully. I liked it because it wasn't straight-up "sweet breakfast mush."

Today I had cottage cheese with an herb blend. Relatively healthy and also not sweet.

I'll stir leftovers into some plain yogurt sometimes. Sounds gross but it's a a nice hit of "creamy, savory" that's fairly healthy.

"Banana pancakes" that's just half a banana, and egg, and some cinnamon is good, too, as was mentioned.

cm,

admits to an annual box of pumpkin spice Cheerios in the kitchen
No. of Recommendations: 4
I like pizza for breakfast. :)

lightly toasted bread, smeared w/flavorful olive oil (the one I use for salads, not cooking), spread with pizza sauce, topped with sliced fresh mozzarella, bake till melted.

Or quicker, fakier pizza:

lightly toasted bread, cover with sliced mozzarella or whatever meltable cheese and tomato slices. Bake till melted.

I've been making "mini-pizza" since my kids were toddlers. Back then I used English muffin halves. It was a fave.

Before I went keto, we always bought hamburger buns when they would go on sale, because they were easy to use for pizza rounds under the broiler.

For keto-friendly meals, I use Joseph's Lavash Bread (sheets of flatbread, similar in taste and texture of a low carb tortilla) for cheese bread, pizza, "hot pockets", nachos, and more:

https://imgur.com/a/Bc08tZt
No. of Recommendations: 2
So what do folks do for breakfast?

My favorite go-to breakfast (when home) is

handful of spinach or arugula, some sliced or diced tomato, topped with a fried egg or two.

salt & pepper, grated cheese if you wish.
Takes about 3 minutes.

peace & runny yolks
t
And she is on a frosted shredded wheat kick, which happens every few years.

My wife likes frosted shredded wheat. She commented that it was not the most healthy of breakfasts. When I pointed out that she could always get plain shredded wheat she looked at me like I was crazy.

I like a bowl of grits or an English muffin. Biscuits and gravy is welcome anytime of day.

Wally
I do have oatmeal and cream of wheat in stock, but I'm the only one in the family that doesn't like either. But I'm up to give it a shot to see if I can make enough changes that it is tolerable.

Have you tried Wheatena? It's like whole grain cream of wheat. When I lived in MA (25+ years ago-) I ate it regularly. Awesome w/a little maple syrup.

Another fave was rye toast w/ cottage cheese or melted jarlsberg. These days I sometimes make the hubster a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast (with cheddar, not American "cheese food"). Sometimes I put sliced tomato and/or cooked bacon in the middle. In that vein, quesadillas are quick. Slap a torilla in a hot frying pan, cover with grated cheese, add some chopped veg like onion or scallion, tomato, jalapeno, put second tortilla on top, and flip over. Takes like 3 minutes total. I don't how well they'd freeze or even refrigerate.

When I used to eat carbier pancakes, my faves were buckwheat and oatmeal (recipe in Laurel's Kitchen, a vegetarian cookbook--I used to buzz up the oatmeal in my food processor a bit to make the pancakes lighter).

For that matter, any leftover cooked whole grains should be doable as hot cereal or pancakes.

If you eat polenta, fried polenta slices are nice for a change (especially in bacon fat ;-)

The arugula salad with fried eggs reminds me of that French salad of frisee w/poached eggs, bacon, shallots and dijon dressing.
Bacon!!!!

I make my own from pork bellies I get from Costco.

PSU
oatmeal (recipe in Laurel's Kitchen...

Funny. My favorite pancakes of all time are the Laurel's Kitchen Oatmeal Pancakes. I modified the recipe a little. Here's what I used most recently:

Combine and let sit for at least 10 minutes (better overnight):
1 c. rolled oats
1 1/4 c. milk
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Add:
1 beaten egg (the recipe calls for two, but I found that made it too runny)
1 T. canola oil or melted butter

Stir in:
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook on a hot griddle. I used a soup spoon for "dollar" sized pancakes, which DD liked better than big ones. She ate these for breakfast for years (and years).

ThyPeace, now she eats vegetarian bacon, a sliced apple, and a spoon of Nutella. I don't think that's better.