Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I once drove from Houston to Fort Stockton, both in Texas. ... good we didn't have an EV.

Let's see, along I10 from Houston west to El Paso we have the following Tesla superchargers
Houston - 9633 Westheimer Rd, 16 stalls
Katy - 25675 Nelson Way, 12 stalls
Columbus - 2535 Texas 71, 6 stalls
Flatonia - 1415 FM 609 at I-10, 6 stalls
Schertz - 17640 IH 35 N, 6 stalls
Leon Springs - 24165 W I-10 Frontage Rd, 10 stalls
Junction - 2415 N Main St, 8 stalls
Ozona - 1307 Avenue A, 6 stalls
Fort Stockton - 2571 N Front St, 8 stalls
Van Horn - 1921 SW Frontage Rd, 8 stalls
El Paso - 6401 Desert Blvd, 8 stalls

Even the furthest apart stations in West Texas are less than 120 miles apart, which is far less than the real world range of any Tesla. See for yourself: this is a crowdsourced map of Tesla superchargers along with permitted and under construction locations: https://supercharge.info/map.

The way you do such a trip is that your Tesla has been charged up overnight at home before you start and off you go. You let the navigation system plot out a route, and then you modify it as you wish to achieve whatever particular division of stops, side-trips, and food you require. That's it.

Overnighting at some place with slow charging available will let you start out with a full battery in the the morning. Or charging while eating breakfast works nicely.

And since the car can be responsible for most of the stressful and boring parts of the trip, you arrive far more rested than you would in an ICE vehicle. And since the air filtration system is so good, you don't breathe nearly as much nasty gases and particulates on the way, so you feel better too.

If you have a Tesla, you don't even consider driving your ICE unless you absolutely have to. For me, that's getting to be never. With any luck I'll finally be able to convince my wife that it's time to get rid of the 2008 Highlander Hybrid.

But none of this will help you manage your taxes.

-IGU-
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.