Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I only lived in NY for maybe three months in a training class, but it wasn't the real world. Didn't have to find a place to live or get a phone put in or anything like that. But I do love New York. Much more congested than when I was there, though.

The housing thing is just wild. My son had the chance to buy the house he had been living in in Ballard a few years ago and we helped him out with the down payment. Glad we did, too. The place has almost doubled since they bought. Bidding wars are common. But he got a new neighbor who moved to Seattle from Brooklyn. Guy's a lawyer now working for Amazon. He can't believe how much house he got for "only" $1.2 million or something. The house is a lot bigger than my son's place. Was probably living in a walk-in closet in Brooklyn

Amazon is considering my area for their east coast headquarters and God help us if they move here. I don't know where they plan house the 5000 employees because the housing inventory isn't there and the transportation infrastructure barely supports existing commuters.

I am certainly planning to age in place if I can. Everyone I know who is my age and moved is regretting it now and frequently they are worse off than when they started.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.