Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I overall mostly agree with what CMF_Fuskie said. But...

is buying in thirds. Let's say you want to purchase about $1000 of a company. You would buy $350 now, then another $350 on a future dip in price, again the final $350 down the road when the price is again at a discount.

Nonsense. You buy a company that you are planning for the price to go down??? Most investors buy stocks that they expect to go UP. If it goes up as you hope/expect then there is no "future dip". What happens in real life is the price just goes up and you are left there with your one-third position in the stock and 2/3'rd of your investment sitting in cash, and you kicking yourself. If you don't have confidence that the stock will go up, then DON'T BUY ANY OF IT. Geesh.

Yeah, let me tell you of my latest clever trade. I planned to buy BSTZ on a Monday, after it closed at 19.50 on the Friday, after I researched it over the weekend. Well....On Monday morning it was up 4% (to 20.25), so I placed a buy limit order for 19.51. Just now, BSTZ is 21.88 -- and I still have the cash and no stock. I cannot count the number if times something like this has happened to me. To paraphrase Tuco, "When you want to shoot, shoot."

Get ahold of some of Ken Fisher's books & articles and read up on what he says about "regret".

"If you are a member of one of the premium subscription services, I would ..." cancel it. All the advice you need on investing is available on the internet for free.

An extended quote (albeit mostly about active trading--the first two sentences are the Major Truth about investing):
"Everything you need to know about successful trading and investing is on the web, gratis. There are no secrets. The rules of the game are known for each of the major market approaches – momentum, value and statistical arbitrage. Most people simply lack the discipline to follow the rules. There is a huge empathy gap between knowing something and actually applying it. It is just like the difference between knowing how to get in shape and doing it. It takes strong will and a desire to make it; it takes discipline.

"The main edge you need is called discipline. There are multiple market approaches that have been proven to work (momentum and valuation driven) and yet most people don't have the discipline to stick to them. It is similar to knowing what it takes to lose weight and applying it in practice. Successful market participation is 80% psychology and 20% knowledge about the market."

-- Ivan Hoff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.