Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I planned on paying 20% of my income from the royalty payments each quarter. This is a rough estimate of what I'll owe, but I figure it will be close enough? I usually receive a refund each year if that helps put things into perspective.

1> Are you earning money through W2 wages (ie. employed by someone who gives you a W2?) If so, if I were in your situation, I would think about increasing how much is deducted from my paycheck, rather than making estimated tax payments.

2> Are you using turbotax or similar program? If so I would take last years program, make a copy of my 2012 return, and modify it to be closer to what I expect for 2013. And then I would try to hit one of the safe-harbor provisions, but keep enough $ in a separate savings account to pay the taxes due on April 15.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.