Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted a little while ago, and received great advice. I'm hoping to get more of the same from all you wonderful Fools! :)

I have left my boyfriend, moved into my parents house (yich!), and I am trying to conserve cash. Needless to say, while I love my parents, living with them is not my ideal situation. I intend to move out by New Year's Day (which they fully support).

I have a rough idea of what I can afford rent-wise and a general grip on my expenses. My dilemma is that I need to play around with some financial modeling: if I save XX this month, I will have XX^2 by January, but if I save YY, I will have XX/2. I want this to match as closely as possible what I expect my living expenses to be, with the goal of clearly identifying a budget for when I am on my own again. I am familiar with managing expenses for two, but not for one.

Can anyone recommend to me some good software packages for 1) creating financial models, 2) identifying expenses and creating related budgets, and 3) comparing actual expenditures to the planned budget? Being Foolish, price is a consideration as long as it meets these three criteria.

Dear tmve,

We have some nifty financial calculators here, which you can find by going to:

http://www.fool.com/calcs/calculators.htm#saving

You might also consider taking our 'Where to Stash Your Cash' crash course. Not only does it teach you (in sixty minutes) where to safely and effectively save, but it also has some great ideas for saving strategies. If you are interested, go to:

http://www.foolmart.com/Shopping/Product_View.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MF2700_01&ref=CSBO03105

Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.