Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I posted this message with some of my (bearish) views on Global Crossing versus TyCom

NicolaiNJ,

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am curious however why you would choose to go into such promotion of TyCom and Tyco on the GX board. No answer is need, however… I thought I would return the thoughtful enlightenment and post a copy of my opinion on the TCM board, all in the vein of bipartisan cooperation and the never ending quest for knowledge.

TCM has a book value of $4.33, sales of 2.43B, and a market cap of 6B, with a share price of $11.56.

GX has a book value of $14.10, sales of 3.6B and a market cap of 12B, with a share price of $14.50.

This is the opening paragraph from the FACT sheet from the TyCom Global network page on their website, the bolding is mine:

The Tycom Global Network (TGN) is PLANNED to be the most extensive and technology advanced undersea fiber optic network in the world. The TGN system WILL BE BUILT in phases over ten years, based on future requirement of global and regional demand… Phase 1 of the buildout is now underway, and is ecpected to be completed and ready for service (RFS) by the third quarter of 2002.

Translation: The network doesn't exist. (and their ain't no money to build it). The GX network is about 85% complete and 100% fully funded.

Given the two sales numbers I would put forth the opinion that those “deal makers” you were quick to hold up haven't, in comparison to TCM, done that badly at leading the sales efforts for GX . I wonder why that is? Maybe the GX sales team has a real network to sell capacity on?

I went looking for any cable laying projects that TCM is currently physically doing. The best I could come up with was a November 2000 release, a snippet is pulled below. Kinda interesting what became of the last hunk of fiber they put on the ocean floor hugh?

TYCOM DELIVERS WORLD'S FIRST 10-Gb/s 32-WAVELENGTH UNDERSEA SYSTEM

Pembroke, Bermuda, November 30, 2000 -- TyCom Ltd. (NYSE: TCM; BSX: TCM) today announced that it has installed the world's first 10-Gb/s 32-wavelength undersea fiber optic system. The end-to-end 10-Gb/s system, delivered to Global Crossing, utilizes next-generation components such as high-performance optical terminal equipment, dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) equipment, line amplifiers, and wavelength termination equipment. The system, Pan American Crossing, is a 3-fiber pair cable linking California, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and St. Croix and will ultimately provide near-terabit (960-Gb/s) capacity.

Yes, your comments are indeed thought provoking….

Cheers,

Robert

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.