Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I purchased 300 shares of Alcoa, it has split twice giving me 1200 shares. All shares are long term capital gains. I sold 600 shares for $24000.. My original cost for the 300 shares was $20000. Can I for tax reporting apply the entire $20000. cost, taking a $4000. long term capital gain and retain the balance of 600 shares at a zero cost?

No, definitely not if it was a series of two, 2:1 stock splits as you describe it. The cost basis for your 1200 shares was $20,000. If you sold 600 shares, the cost basis for those 600 shares would be $10,000. (Assume we're using "round numbers" here. Your original cost basis should have included whatever commissions and fees were involved in your acquiring the shares, your sales proceeds should be net of commissions and fees as well.) Sounds like you have a long-term capital gain of $14,000. The 600 shares you still hold have a cost basis of $10,000.

If this isn't clear, you need to do some homework. Post back if you have questions.

Hope this helps,
Phooley in Phoenix
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.