Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I purchased a new car in 2012. I am trying to figure out if I can deduct off the sales tax I paid on my Federal and State Taxes ( I live in IL).

Federal: If you itemize deductions on Schedule A you can choose between state income tax and sales tax for your state and local tax deduction. If you choose sales tax you can add the sales tax on a car to the income-based amount the IRS provides in tables.

IL: No. IL doesn't have itemized deductions.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.