Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I purchased stock for my 1998 Roth IRA which has really tanked.

I have arranged to recharacterized this to a Regular IRA within the ruled for recharacterization of 1998 Roth IRA investments.

I am hoping to file an amended tax return for 1998, to reduce my taxable gains on other Regular IRAs which were converted to Roths in 1998.

Please refer me to instructions for completing the forms to amend these complicated reports on my 1998 tax returns.

I contacted the IRS over a month ago for assistance, but have had no success. The amended return is due on the 15th of October, I believe.

***Download Form 8606 and instructions from

You may need an Acrobat Reader to get it. If so you may download the program from the IRS site or many other places on the web.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.