Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
i ran one of those turbotax programs to file my taxes, however one question has me puzzled: if i got married in 2000 and neglected to change my name on my social security card this program says to file jointly i should still use my maiden name if thats on my ss card. i never heard of that before. does anyone know if that information is correct, that i should use my maiden name still?
== == ==
Yep, the IRS looks at SS records to compare your name with your social security number. So, if you haven't yet changed your name down at SS, you should still use your maiden name on your tax return. Then, this summer, you should contact the SS people and change your name over to your married name.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.