Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I read all the replies to this post and I'm a little suprised that nobody gets the strategy. You didn't state what your combined yearly income is but for the sake of argument, let's say it's $100,000 (a round number probably not far from right.) If you lived in the Grate State of Idaho, as I do, your marginal tax rate is on the order of 46% or so! (the top tax bracket for the federal income tax plus the top tax bracket for the state income tax.)

Since mortgage interest is tax deductible, you can reduce your tax bill by $1054.32 a year with the increased mortgage interest deduction, plus reduce the cost of your car. Unfortunately, mortgage loan fees will reduce the pay-off of this strategy. Nonetheless, the capital that is freed by this can probably earn a higher return than either the 7.5% or 8.325% of the mortgage rate. There are education IRAs that can be used to fund your child's education, and, if that is maxxed out, you can invest in no-load, low income, growth instruments such as SPY, QQQ or an index fund. These will grow your capital while avoiding short term capital gains.

Best of luck.

neeg

By the way; avoid mutual funds in your private portfolio, especially funds with loads. They are only appropriate in a 401k. Use index funds or index tracking stocks if you don't want to pick your stocks yourself.

neeg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.