Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 25
I read somewhere that like 33% of healthcare dollars are spent on the last three months of life? Like the doctors know your dying but they keep trying new things which just runs up big bills and you end up dying anyway?

Disclaimer: I was a doctor.

Reality: I truly honored what a patient wanted. Often suggested hospice and supportive care in situations where few weeks would be gained, at significant quality-of-life cost. However, 8-9 times out of 10, if not defined by the patient, family stepped in and demanded (even threatened lawsuits if not done)fruitless, expensive, waste-of-time and destructive of quality-of-life attempts in the last days/weeks, etc.

If you choose to go gently into the night, talk to ALL of your family (even that child who really hasn't wanted to talk to you) and TELL them what you what. Don't discuss, don't debate.......tell them exactly what your call is. Put it in writing. They will debate and argue that is not what you wanted until you have been drug through the mud.

LakeD
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.