Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 12
I read somewhere that self-employed individuals should add on your IRA contributions to calculate your MAGI. But then I read somewhere else that contributions to 401(k)s did not have to be added back on to line 37 of Form 1040 to calculate MAGI for Obamacare purposes.

For future reference, you can usually find somewhere or someone who tells you just about anything about tax law. Always look for a cite.

Peter provided a cite in response to the original question, so I suggest you use it. It's very clear about what you add to AGI to get MAGI for this purpose. There's no mention of retirement accounts of any stripe.

I just thought about what may have been wrong "somewhere." In the interest of simplification Congress has provided multiple calculations of MAGI depending on the particular use. For example, Roth IRA MAGI is different from Obamacare MAGI. Never try to apply one to a different provision.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.