Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I read that a number of you have decided to sell your ownership in JAKK due to the recent decision by Walmart to pull one of the action figures from the shelf. I read that your decision is based on morals and/or ethics. I sincerely appreciate that decision.
Although I happen to believe in this company and do not find this doll to be morally repugnant, I am a firm believer in the free market system and your decisions to sell are an example of that system at its finest. To be clear, we don not need legislators that have never met us and don't know anything about us deciding what is or is not moral or ethical for us. We can determine what is offered in the marketplace by making personal decisions such as those you have made. Ultimately, corporate America will respond accordingly or they will pay the ultimate price. Thus, instead of ridiculing you for your decisions I extend a loud "hear,hear" and wish you the best.
Now for my reasons to stay long. First, I am not and will not be a fan of professional wrestling. Thus, I know little or nothing of the character this doll is based on. I am told, however, that the "head" is not intended to simulate a real head, but only that of a mannequin. Apparently, the guy is supposed to be real strange. I believe the reaction of some to this doll is the sort of overreaction we have become accustomed to in this day and age in an attempt to appease everyone. Let's face it, this is a pluralistic society that is bound to hurt someone's feelings when ideas are freely expressed. Anyway, my view is that this is only a doll and the only people who will read too much into it are the people with too much time on their hands to think about it.
Second, this product is one of about 700 products this company produces. Even still, it is only one in a group that comprises a minority of the types of products produced. Based on my research, this company produces a large number of quality products, many designed to be educational for children, and if this one falls by the wayside because of consumer rejection, all the better.
Third, I am not prepared to throw the company out with the bath water. Perhaps it was poor judgment on the company's part to produce it. Who knows? Nevertheless, we don't execute people for a first offense and I am likewise prepared to give this company, which has time and again demonstrated an ability to be responsive to the interests of its shareholders, a chance to rectify any poor judgment it may have shown.
All in all, I remain confident in management and its vision for the company. I do not believe we have an immoral company (such as tobacco or HMO's- but that's another story) set out to profit at the expense of others. Thus, I'll remain an owner.
Once again, best wishes in your investing. By the way, if you are selling for ehtical or moral reasons, don't hang on until the split. First, the split is a non-event. It means nothing from a value standpoint. Second, why remain to achieve some perceived benefit from the split at the expense of your conscience?

Keith
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.