No. of Recommendations: 0
I read that, it was a great book.

For Science fiction/fantasy readers, I am currently in the midst of a series by Philip Pullman, the series is "His Dark Materials" and the first book is "The Golden Compass." I have read the first two books.

Best thing I have read in a long time.

It is hard to categorize the series. It is fantasy, but there is some physics to it, which is why I put it in the science fiction/fantasy category, rather than pure fantasy. The heroine is a young girl, very well drawn, reminds me of the girl in "The Mill on the Floss," I hope this won't be as heartbreaking.

Overall, the series is based on Milton's "Paradise Lost," which involves the rebellion of an army of angels against heaven (Lucifer lost, which is why he is in hell). In Pullman's series, the good guys are hard to tell from the bad guys (as they were in "Paradise Lost," which was the point of the thing). All you know is that the protagonists are good, but which side they will ultimately take, I don't know after reading the first two books.

If you are looking for the next good read, I recommend Pullman's series.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.